Record Year of Service
The staff and supporters of our Refugee Services program took a brief moment to reflect on their accomplishments in fiscal year 2015-2016. The numbers told a story that was simply amazing. In the last 92 days alone, ending September 30, 326 refugees were successfully resettled! This was 42% of the 776 total individuals from 14 countries we helped this year, a record year for the program. This remarkable feat was accomplished through the dedication and willingness of staff, volunteers and community partners.
We are blessed to have the love and support of many individuals and organizations in the Greater Lansing area.
- Our staff of case managers, case manager assistants, our employment team, our health team, our housing specialist, interns and supervisors who tirelessly have went above and beyond their normal duties to welcome all of those in their care.
- Our facilities team who carried beds and sofas up long flights of stairs during an intensely hot summer.
- Landlords and property owners who responded quickly and kindly to our high demands for housing.
- The over 40 volunteers who have assisted with housing setups and served as mentors to newly arrived refugee families.
- The Ingham County Health Department and the Department of Health & Human Services who have accommodated each new arrival in establishing their essential needs and benefits.
- The Lansing School District for welcoming each new refugee child and providing special assistance to English Language Learners.
- Our countless employers who recognize the commitment and selflessness that refugees display in their work.
- Our donors who have contributed funds to help with the purchase of furniture, supplemented rent payments for families, and bridged any budget shortfalls.
Record Year and Moving Forward
As we move into 2017, it is apparent that conflicts across the globe will continue to make our program necessary in order to help the most vulnerable. In 2016 our Refugee Services program and community was tested with an unprecedented amount of arrivals. Together we answered God’s call to welcome the stranger. As a supporter of STVCC, please join us in telling each refugee that we are happy that they are here.