Welcoming the Stranger 5k Family Fun Run
Saturday, June 18
Location: Hawk Island Park, 1601 E. Cavanaugh St., Lansing, MI
Registration: Begins at 7:30 a.m.
Race Start Time: 9:00 a.m.
To celebrate World Refugee Day, St. Vincent Catholic Charities (STVCC) will be hosting the third annual Welcoming the Stranger: 5k Family Fun Run. The race is FREE to register, and STVCC asks that all participants bring along a new or gently used household item to donate in support of the STVCC Refugee Resettlement Program.
“The Welcoming the Stranger: 5k Family Fun Run kicks off the exciting time of World Refugee Awareness Week” explained race organizer Marissa Nalley, the Refugee Services Community Outreach Coordinator for STVCC. “Our community will have the opportunity throughout the upcoming week to take part in fun and eye-opening experiences that allow individuals to better understand what it’s like to be a refugee. Saturday begins a celebration of the strength and resiliency of refugees.”
World Refugee Awareness Week is the City of Lansing’s celebration of World Refugee Day. This day was established by the United Nations to honor the courage, strength and determination of women, men and children who are forced to flee their homes under threat of persecution, conflict and violence. Every year, the UN recognizes June 20 as World Refugee Day and large cities across the globe create elaborate festivals and events to celebrate. Join us June 18 – 24 as Lansing celebrates the thousands of refugees resettled in our community!
Media are invited to cover this and other events throughout the week!
- Sunday, June 19 – Refugee Sunday Faith based organizations in the greater Lansing area speak to the importance of welcoming refugees into our community.
- Monday, June 20 – World Refugee Day Each year on June 20 the United Nations and countless civic groups around the world celebrate World Refugee Day. The day was established to honor the courage, strength and determination of those who are forced to flee their homes under threat of persecution, conflict and violence. Join us in celebrating the different refugee populations resettled in Lansing each year.
- Monday, June 20 – Global Institute of Lansing (GIL) Graduation From 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., join GIL as they honor refugee students receiving their High School Diplomas. This will take place at First Presbyterian Church, 510 W. Ottawa St., Lansing.
- Monday, June 20 – Refugee Iftar Dinner The Islamic Society of Greater Lansing, 920 S. Harrison Rd., East Lansing will be hosting a sunset community gathering to break fast during Ramadan at 8:50 p.m.
- Tuesday, June 21 – Peckham Celebrates Diversity Hear Peckham staff, clients and community partners present information on refugees in our community and employment opportunities for people with disabilities at Peckham. Join us at Peckham, Inc., 3510 Capital City Boulevard, Lansing from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Wednesday, June 22 – Allen Neighborhood Center Farmer’s Market Join ANC at their weekly Farmers Market to experience the culture of a local refugee group. From 2:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Allen Neighborhood Center (ANC), 1619 E. Kalamazoo St., Lansing.
- Wednesday, June 22 – Documentary Film, “When Elephants Fight” Hosted by the Refugee Development Center and Capital Area District Libraries (CADL). Film Director, Michael Ramsdell, will be present to discuss the film. The film starts at 6 p.m. at the CADL Downtown Branch, 401 S. Capitol Ave, Lansing.
- Thursday, June 23 – Garden Project Community Garden Showcase & Potluck Join the Greater Lansing Food Bank’s Garden Project for a summer potluck in the Orchard Court Community Garden, located at 5745 Orchard Court, Lansing. Bring a dish to pass and join in on the fun from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Friday, June 24 – Peace Pole Unveiling and Press Conference St. Vincent Catholic Charities has partnered with the City of Lansing to install a Peace Pole at Lansing City Hall to bring together immigrants, refugees and U.S. born community members in a spirit of unity. Join us at Lansing City Hall, 124 W. Michigan Ave, Lansing from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Friday, June 24 – Picture Our Stories Join Samaritas (formerly Lutheran Social Services of Michigan) at REACH Studio Art Center’s youth gallery from 6 – 7:30 p.m. to view art created by refugee youth in the Lansing community to depict their experiences in their homelands, on their journeys, and as they find a new home in the United States.
Participating Hosts: St. Vincent Catholic Charities, Capital Area District Libraries, Samaritas, Allen Neighborhood Center, The Global Institute of Lansing, The Islamic Society of Greater Lansing, First Presbyterian Church, Peckham, Inc., Greater Lansing Food Bank, Lansing City Hall.